Saturday, July 7, 2012

Time Again for Good-byes

It's beginning again.  It's the beginning of my 'last time I'll do this' and 'last time I'll see you here'.  It's the countdown to the end of my time with PC and my time in Morocco.  There's only 20 days left until I finish this chapter of my life and move on to new experiences back in America.

It's hard to believe that I've spent the past 52 months as a PCV.  My first 30 months in Albania flew by and were so memorable that I can't help but think about my time there and smile.  Now as I'm finishing up my 22 month in Morocco, I can't even seem to figure out where the time went.  When I came to Morocco, I thought that I may have made the wrong choice deciding to do PC again.  It took me a long time to feel comfortable here while I had to deal with extreme cultural differences and learn to hide parts of who I am.  Now as I get ready to leave, I'm sad to say good-bye to all the people that I've come to know and the town that I've started to call home.

When you come close to finishing your service you go to a COS conference (close of service).  I will not be attending my COS conference in Morocco as it is the week after my first grad school classes.  However, I remember my COS conference from Albania.  They told us something that I think helps make the transition home easier.  They said "don't think of it as a close of service but a continuation of service".  That's how I'm thinking of these last few days here in Morocco.  Not the end, but a transition to a new type of service.  Going home and telling all my friends and family about my time here.  Goal number three.

It's time to get out there and shake hands and drink tea and kiss cheeks.  Time to enjoy the last few days here.  Time to make some memories to take home with me.  It's time to start saying good-bye and packing up my suitcases.  It's the toughest part of the job but everyone must do it.  Time to enjoy my last 20 days in Morocco.  Time to enjoy my last 20 days as a PCV..... for now :)

1 comment:

BeccaBackwards said...

I'm so proud of you and EXCITED to have you back home!