Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tell Me a Story Dad!

When I was growing up, I loved it when my Dad used to tell me stories.  He wouldn't just read the books but he would have voices for all the characters.  I remember when he used to come to my school to read books to my class.  Always a crowd pleaser.  As Father's Day just passed, I feel as though it is my time to tell a story about my Dad.

One of my favorite stories about my Dad is from when I was about six years old.  My family and I were at a mall and we wandered into a book store.  I walked over to the children's section and picked out a Goosebumps book (very popular at the time).  Deciding that it would be easier to get my Dad to buy the book for me than my Mom, I found him and put on the cutest puppy dog face I could muster at six.  My Dad handled the situation very diplomatically and said, "if you can read the first page, I'll buy it for you".  Well I sat down right there on the floor and opened the book up and I read that first page and after the last word, looked up at my Dad and said "shall I continue??"  It was the first of many bets that my Dad lost to me.

Another one of my favorite Dad stories is again from when I was little.  I had always asked my parents for a little sister because Charlie, my older brother, was no fun to play with at all.  Since my parents had made a deal that my Mom would have the first two kids and any after that would have to come from my Dad, we stayed a two child family.  That being the case I would instead use my Dad as a doll.  He would be sitting on the couch watching t.v. or reading and I would come sit next to him with all my hair ties and give him the most beautiful hair styles you've ever seen on a grown man.  There are pictures of this but unfortunately I do not have any to post here.  Now many a grown man would say definitely not.  "You're not putting barrettes in my hair!"  Not my Dad.  He was a great client and came back to my little salon quite often while I was little.

I'm one of the lucky ones to say that I know my Dad and have many memories with him.  I'm lucky to know that he's proud of me and will support me through anything.  I'm lucky that using my puppy dog face still works on him and he takes me to the movies, out to eat and shopping when I'm home.  I'm lucky to have him in my life and I'm even luckier that he's my Dad :)

Yup, that's my Dad


No comments: