Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Fez Success!

This post is a bit overdue but I've been having some computer troubles so here it is.  Better late than never.

Back in May, the Acting Out Awareness group and myself traveled up to Fez for a forum on AIDS.  Not only was this exciting because we were invited by the Ministry but it was the first time these kids were going to be traveling so far from home (15 hours).  Everyone was excited, the plans were all made and it was time for the kids to really show off their show.

We met at 4 at the dar chabab and got all the costumes, props and set all packed up and ready to go.  When I arrived, my mudir informed me that the ministry bought seven tickets.  That's one for him and six for the kids.  My travel would be out of my own pocket but I was determined to see this through so the 40 bucks it would take me to travel there and back didn't mean much.  We arranged for a grand taxi to pick us up at the dar chabab and once we got everything in the back (not a small task mind you), we were on our way.

Once in Inzegane, we had time to spare until our bus at 6:45.  The kids went to buy snacks for the road and the rest of us just chatted.  Surprisingly, the bus left on time.  Only one kid got a little bus sick, hamdullah.  After a short stop in Marrakech we continued north through the Atlas mountains.  Around 6 am, when the sun was rising, I woke up with a few of the other students.  We were in Azrou.  Azrou is the part of Morocco that many people refer to as 'the Switzerland of Africa'.  It is indeed a beautiful city and the kids saw it right away.  The looks on their faces made me see that they realized the vast differences between the south and the north.  When we reached Ifrane, a small town known for its ski resort, one of my kids turned to me and said 'There's no trash.'  I forget what it's like sometimes to travel to a place so far from home and see all the differences that are as clear as crystal laid out in front of you.

The rest of the travel went by and we arrived in Fez a little past 8am.  After sitting at a cafe across the street from the bus station and eating some breakfast we headed over to the dar chabab where the forum would take place.  We weren't the first to arrive.  I was told we had to take the overnight bus because we had to be there by 9am.  Nothing started the first day until 8pm.  Luckily, with the free time I was able to catch up with Haddou, my LCF from PST.  The ministry was also not paying for me to stay at the center with the kids so I arranged to go to Sefrou and stay with another PCV there.  20 dirhams to get there and back was going to be cheaper than paying 60 for a hostel in the medina.

A pivotal scene from the play

I came back into Fez the next day in time for breakfast.  I was informed that I shouldn't eat any of the food because the ministry had paid for a specific number of people to eat and I was not in that number.  Mashi mushkil Ministry, no problem at all.  The forum finally started around 10am.  I was surprised to see that the second in command from the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Youness,  had come to Fez for the forum.  Youness does a lot with PC so I've met him before but was surprised when he recognized me.  He talked about the Ministry's new direction with the new minister and about new programs they would be starting with an AIDS focus.  He thanked all of us in attendance for our work on AIDS and wished us well as we continued.

Looks pretty dramatic with the lights

We breaked for kaskerut and Youness came up to me. He told me about his recent trip to America where he traveled around seeing different volunteer organizations in action. He told me how he hopes that one day Morocco will develop the same mentality. When we reached the table with the drinks and snacks on it, everyone was waiting for him to take something first before they began. Youness told me that I should be the one to start. If that's not recognition for the work I've been doing I'm not sure what is. Also, in your face people who told me I couldn't eat the food!


They got a standing ovation


After lunch the Acting Out Awareness group took the stage.  Another PCV joined me with a camera to film the performance.  It went very well.  The kids did great and the audience loved it.  A week later I got a message from PC telling me that they had heard great things about the performance from the ministry.  I couldn't be more proud.  

The whole group

The rest of the forum included discussions and networking opportunities.  The kids from my group were great ambassadors for the south of Morocco.  They handled themselves professionally and were attentive during every session.  I know we will be going to other forums in the future.  The Acting Out Awareness project has opened so many doors for these kids and I can't wait to see where they all will lead.  I know that they all have bright futures ahead of them.

No comments: