Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Christmas Traditions and New Year's Resolutions

When I think of Christmas, I think of midnight church services, Christmas ham, unwrapping presents in turns, and watching movies all day in my pajamas.  For the past few years, my Christmases have been different and there hasn't been anything traditional about them.  This year however, several other PCV's and myself got together and tried to celebrate by doing our favorite Christmas traditions.  The successes:
-Christmas pj exchange
-stockings filled with little goodies
-ornament exchange
-Christmas tree(s)
-cinnamon rolls and coffee
-A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, A Muppet Christmas and other holiday favorites
-staying in PJ's all day long
-tree of shame
-Christmas morning picture on the stairs
-general snacking throughout the day
-Christmas decorations everywhere!

Unfortunately there was no Christmas ham or midnight church service but I feel that we accomplished all the traditions that we could with the resources we had.  It was a great Christmas and it was sad to leave Essaouria when it was all done but we'll always have the memories!  

Christmas morning picture on the stairs!

New Year's Eve was also a big success.  A few of us girls got together in Agadir and got all glamed up for our big night out.  We started right with dinner at our favorite Indian restaurant where we were treated to a free bottle of champagne.  There was a small incident outside the restaurant that had us a little worried for awhile but our Moroccan friends came to the rescue and made sure that we had a great night!  At midnight we were on the beach watching the fireworks and calling friends and family back home.  Afterwards we headed to a club where we danced the rest of the night away.  It was a great night and a great start to 2012.

This is the start of my final year in Peace Corps (for now at least).  So many great things have happened during my time with Peace Corps and I have many more still planed for this year.  I look forward to going home for awhile and being with family and friends and hopefully starting grad school this fall.  The idea of living in America again is a little overwhelming.  I'll have to find an apartment, look for a job and wait in lines because I won't be the foreigner anymore.  Even with all that I feel that this is my year.  I think a lot of good things are going to happen.  It started off great and the momentum has continued up till now.  Fingers crossed that everything works out the way I hope it will!!

I hope everyone has had a great holiday season and may the new year bring you all happiness, health and good fortune!!

No comments: