Monday, March 7, 2011

One of Those PCV Moments

Every so often as a PCV, you experience a moment that makes you proud to be a PCV. Sometimes that moment is an activity that you've worked on for months and sometimes its a student finally showing he/she understands something you taught him/her. These moments can be frequent or far and few between. When you have one of these moments, you can't help but smile and think of how happy you are that you joined PC. I had a moment that did just that yesterday.


My site-mate, Beth, had been planning a trip to the beach with her D.C. Since we are trying to get our D.C's to do things together, she invited me and my kids. After class on Saturday I told them that if they wanted to come to the beach that they were welcome to go with me. Six of my kids were very excited and said that they would love to go. Sunday morning I woke excited for a day at the beach and a chance to get to know a few of my kids better.


Around 7:40, my kids and I met up at the taxi stand to drive over to Beth's D.C. Now even though we decided to leave at 8, we left at about 8:30 (within Moroccan time standards). The walk to the beach is fairly long, approximately 7 km. We only took one break once we reached the bird park. About 10:30 we arrived at the beach and the fun began. A few kids started to play soccer right away and a few sat down to rest a bit after our long walk. Being one of the ones who sat down first, we were talking and as we looked around the beach realized the high tide washed up a lot of trash. My tutor, being the amazing motivated person he is, said "hey why don't we clean up the trash?" I wanted to cry I was so happy.


We went around telling all the kids we were going to clean up the beach and without telling them they had to help, they all joined us! We cleaned a good section of beach. Maybe about half a mile. The two men who had been initially cleaning the trash were very happy with our help. Cleaning up all that trash at the recommendation of a Moroccan, with the help of Moroccan youth, without them being told to, was one of those moments where I stopped and thought, "These kids are going to do great things". At the same time, I thought about how happy I am that I can help them in any way. It was a moment that made me truly happy to be here working with youth.


The beach clean-up lasted for about 45 minutes and then it was time for more fun. We played soccer, ultimate frisbee and volleyball. In true competition style, we had a Beth's D.C. vs. Leslie's D.C. volleyball game and ultimate frisbee game. Now I stick to the fact that we lost because we only had 6 players next to Beth's 15. Next time Beth!! It was great to interact with the kids in an informal setting and see their true personalities come out. Two of my shy boys really took charge during the games. I look forward to going to the beach with them again.


Yesterday was a day that reminds me of why I'm here and why I wanted to do PC a second time. Somedays are really tough. You question what impact you can have on your community and what skills you can pass on to others. Then there are days like yesterday, when you remember why you're here and can't imagine leaving. Days like yesterday can't be planned. They are spontaneous and happen when someone you know decides to surprise you. The longer I am a PCV, the more frequently they seem to come. Inshallah this means that my last year they will happen everyday!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW Your enthusiasm is infectious. You are making a difference. Can't wait to join you. Fran