Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Finally! Medical clearance has come!

Oh. My. God. I finally have medical clearance! It has been a long time since I thought this day would come! All the things I have had to do has been crazy! I'm so happy that I finally have it. I only know because my toolkit was updated. How crazy is that? No more bold HOLD! on my toolkit. Now I just have to wait for an invite.

It has been over 5 months since I went to my interview for the Peace Corps and was told I was going to be nominated for Community Development in Eastern Europe leaving in March of '08. That seemed so far away then and I can't believe it's the middle of January and I still don't know when and where I'm going. This process has just aggravated me and pushed me to the point of asking if this is really what I want to do. Even though I had to go back to the doctor over 5 times to get something that was missed or needed more information, even though I had to go all the way to Chicago to get a medical file for something that happened a long time ago, and even though I had to go the dentist 4 times, I can say.......... yes. This is the one thing that feels right right now in my life. Even though it drives me crazy and I'm anxious as all heck, I know this is what I am supposed to do.

I feel like this first part has been so drown out and long that the next part will be a whirlwind. I expect I will receive an invitation within the next month. However, if I am still leaving in March that means as soon as I get my invite I could be leaving weeks later for staging. It will be crazy but extremely fun! I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel as it were. I can't wait to see what's on the other side waiting for me.

For anyone out there who is reading this who is going through the medical part of this whole process, hang in there. I know how challenging it is. Just remember to be as thorough as you can be and don't leave anything out. It's like the Peace Corps says, "Now is a good time to practice skills you will need during your volunteer service, patience and flexibility." So hang in there guys. Hopefully you will be as excited as I am now in a few weeks :)

-Leslie

No comments: