Sunday, July 10, 2011

Marche Maroc Essaouria

This past week I was fortunate enough to participate in an amazing craft fair put on by several SBD volunteers in Essaouria called Marche Maroc.  It brought together artisans from around Morocco to one place for them to sell their products, participate in workshops and network.  I was brought in as one of four YD volunteers to lead a customer service workshop with a little English mixed in.  The first day of the craft fair, the governor of Essaouria stopped by to see the event.  The artisans proudly showed their handiwork and were able to discuss how their specialty items were made.  Overall, I was very impressed by the fair and the work that the SBD volunteers had put into it.  Congrats to all the participants on a job well done!

One of the artisans preparing her booth on opening day

An artisan from Taourdant talking to the governor of Essaouria

One artisans craft; jellaba button necklaces!

The governor of Essaouria talking to a PCV about his artisans work

The artisans along with some PCV's

2 comments:

BeccaBackwards said...

Looks like fun! Oooh...did you get a necklace? Too cute! :) I miss my Leslie!

Unknown said...

I didn't get a necklace but I got a leather purse and some argan oil!!