Monday, January 10, 2011

Tales From a Party Bus

Sometimes you just know when you're going to have a good day. It can be because you wake up feeling refreshed or you have just enough milk to eat with your cereal or maybe you realize the shirt you want to wear isn't dirty. There are many reasons for people to just know that any particular day will be good. Today I knew it was going to be a good day when I was told to board a bus going up to the road where the king would be passing by. Not just any bus though, a party bus.

After about a week or so of people giving me different answers for when the King was going to come, where he was going to be and what exactly was the reason for his trip to the south, I woke up earlier than usual this morning to meet my host mom and her association to go to see the King. I was told to meet at her association at 9, so a few minutes after 9 I walked over. Knowing that there was no way they would leave at 9 I arrived seconds before the kids. Perfect timing, or so I thought. We then sat around for about 30 minutes while some of the kids got permission to miss the rest of the morning classes. Just before 10, we piled into a big van and drove over to the qaida (the building where the Kings' representation in Massa works). It seemed like most of the town was all gathered there. That's when I became very confused.

I knew the King wasn't coming to Mango but everyone was gathered and ready for him to pass by on the main road. I asked my host mom why everyone was there. She told me that everyone was meeting at the qaida and then we would all drive up the road together. I felt like I was back in high school going on a field trip with my entire school. Around 10:15, someone got on a blow horn and told everyone we were heading out. My host mom and I, got into a car to head back to El Kharij and meet our students. We see the van and pull over and at that exact moment, the van drives off. We get back into the same car and head back to the qaida. On the way, we saw my site mate and picked her up. At the qaida, we were directed towards a bus and I immediately became excited.

On the bus were 20 or so kids from my host mom's association with drums and cymbals. Oh yeah, it was the party bus! The entire trip we were singing and clapping and laughing. Moroccans really like to dance and they don't need much room to do it. We arrived at the corner where the King would be passing and after maneuvering the bus into a parking spot, we were directed by no less than 5 people as to where we should stand. We were put at the end of one of the barricades which was a great spot. There weren't too many people and there was a little shade for the kids who wanted to sit down. We ended up waiting for the King to pass for almost an hour. First, there was a fly over by a single helicopter, then there was a motorcade of police motorcycles and numerous shiny black cars before the King's limo and 2 more helicopters passed by.

All I can say is thank goodness this is January. We ended up waiting for the King to turn around and make pass number 2. From 12 - 2:15, we waited in the direct sun with our pictures of the King and Moroccan flags to cool us down. Luckily there were people looking out for myself and my site mate from the numerous boys and men starting at us and talking about us in French. I enjoy it when people I know give people staring at me a hard time. I wish I didn't need people to stand up for me but unfortunately in this society, staring is not rude and is just something I have to deal with. More and more people are becoming used to me in my site so its not as bad there but when I leave site it picks up. Anyways, the King made pass number two and I can safely say he was waving directly at me :D

Back to the party bus. After seeing the King pass by our corner twice, we filled back onto our party bus. The ride back to town was slightly eventful as my host dad ended up kicking a kid off the bus for inappropriate language. I was so happy to call him host dad at that moment. The rest of the trip was passed with more singing and dancing and laughing. It's always a good time on the party bus.

As for everything else, life here in Mango is going very well. I am all moved into my new apartment and am enjoying my independence. My classes are highly attended and I am seeing people on the street that I know more and more. Feels good to be back in the swing of things. My holidays were also very enjoyable and I hope that all of you had a great holiday season and that 2011 is treating you well. Look back soon for another update and more pictures!

No comments: